- K Hook
- N Hook (Or hook of similar size for making a large chain)
- Bulky yarn in 2 colors (or more!) (Suggested yarn: Lion Brand, Super Bulky 6) Depending on your tension should use 3-4 skeins of each color.
- Tapestry needle
- Buttons or beads (Optional, for drawstring)
- Chain 1 at the beginning of round never counts as a stitch.
- Join each round with a slip stitch to the first single crochet of the round. After round 41, work in rows, turning after each row.
- Stitch counts are indicated in parentheses.
- Colors shown are color A (Los Angeles Tan - Lion Brand) color B (San Diego Navy - Lion Brand)
-This pattern uses only single crochet. Therefore, decreases and increases will always be sc dec and sc inc.
-Gauge is not important, but my gauge is 1” = approx. 3 single crochet stitches and 3 rounds. The bag has a height of about 9" and a bottom diameter of about 9".
Ch – Chain
Sc – Single Crochet
Dec – Single crochet decrease
Inc – Single crochet increase
*…* - Repeat what is between the asterisks
MR – Magic ring
1. In color A using K hook, make a magic ring. Ch 1, sc 8 into MR. (8)
2. Ch 1. Inc in each sc. (16)
3. Ch 1. *Sc, inc* around. (24)
4. Ch 1. *Sc 2, inc* around. (32)
5. Ch 1. *Sc 3, inc* around. (40)
6. Ch 1. *Sc 4, inc* around. (48)
7. Ch 1. *Sc 5, inc* around. (56)
8. Ch 1. *Sc 6, inc* around. (64)
9. Ch 1. *Sc 7, inc* around. (72)
10. Ch 1. *Sc 8, inc* repeat around. (80)
11. Ch 1. Sc around. (80)
12. Ch 1. *Sc 9, inc* repeat around. (88)
13. Ch 1. Sc around. (88)
14. – 19. In color B: Ch 1. Sc around. (88)
20. – 24. In color A: Ch 1. Sc around. (88)
25. – 30. In color B: Ch 1. Sc around. (88)
30. – 35. In color A: Ch 1. Sc around. (88)
36. In color B: Ch 1. *9 sc, dec* around. (80)
37. Ch 1. Sc around. (80)
38. Ch 1. *8 sc, dec* around. (72)
39. Ch 1. Sc around. (72)
40. Ch 1. *7 sc, dec* around. (64)
41. Ch 1. Sc around. (64)
Join yarn color A in 9th stitch to the right of your seam. Work in rows from here, turning after each row.
1. – 13. Ch 1. Sc 18. (18)
14. Ch 1. Dec, sc 14, dec. (16)
Join yarn to the right of flap. Ch 1 and sc around evenly.
Using 4 strands of yarn, use N hook (or similar hook) to chain two long straps. Suggested length is about 35” – 45” long each, but you can make them shorter or longer according to your size or preference. If 35” – 45” seems long, remember that you will need extra length to make your knots. As an alternative, you could braid your straps instead.
Insert one end of the strap between two stitches of round 14, even with the right edge of the flap. Knot the strap around itself. You may want to knot it several times to keep it from slipping through the hole.
Repeat with the other end of the strap between two stitches of round 39, roughly even with the edge of the flap.
Repeat on the left side of the flap for the other strap.
In desired color, cut two (approx.) 24” strands of yarn.
Holding strands together, knot them around themselves a couple inches from the end. If using beads or buttons, slide them onto both strands, making sure they don’t slip over the knot.
Flatten your bag with the front facing you. Center your flap, and insert both strands into round 40, approximately 1 stitch to the right of the center.
Weave your drawstring in and out every 4 or 5 stitches to the right, stopping 3 stitches to the left of your strap. Insert one strand on either side of that last stitch, and holding the strands together, knot them around themselves, leaving enough slack for the bag to be completely open. Trim excess yarn.
Drawstring knot inside bag
Repeat with left side, starting 2 stitches to the left of first drawstring.
Finish off, weave in all ends, and you’re done!
Feel free to post pictures on Twitter or Facebook using #CarsandCrochet
*This is not my design. Edited original to fit my preferences for this bag. Original post here.
HI, I'm Dusti. Yes, that's my real name.. no, it isn't short for anything -- my parent's may have been hippies; biker hippies.